Washington DC

I took an extended weekend to go to Washington DC to visit my friend Amanda. I decided to bring Owen with. This was my first time in DC so I was excited to see Amanda and do some exploring.

I decided I wanted to get a quick morning workout in since I would be missing my evening Zumba class. I got up early and went for a slow run that ended up being just over a mile but felt like 3 miles haha! I haven’t ran in a long time but overall it felt good to get outside, it felt good to run, and it felt good to get some exercise in before starting my day of travel.


My flight was at 12:25 so Joe, Liam, Owen, and I spent the morning together. Then we brought Liam to daycare and Joe dropped Owen and me off at the airport. We went straight to the security line and waited. It was a pretty long wait but Owen didn’t mind.


Once we finally got to our gate there was about 8 minutes until boarding. We had made it just in time. However, there ended up being some maintenance that needed to be done so the flight got delayed by 30 minutes. Owen got a little fussy waiting (he was hungry and tired) but overall did great.


They gave me a row to myself (they were 2 seat rows) which was so nice and let me bring Owen’s infant seat on. This was so nice because he ended up falling asleep and staying asleep the whole plane ride since he was in his seat and it gave me free hands.


Owen was awake once we landed and happy as could be. Amanda met us at the airport and we took a Lyft ride back to her place.


Owen was happy to not be travelling anymore (and me too). We decided to take a stroll outside to go to Sweet Greens for dinner. It is basically made to order salads and it was super good!


We headed back to Amanda’s place to put Owen to sleep and spent the rest of our evening chatting and catching up.


We had a pretty uneventful morning. It was a little rainy outside so we just stuck with Owen’s morning routine until things cleared up. He went down for his nap and we decided after his nap we would go see some of the monuments. Well he decided to sleep for over 2.5 hours. What a stinker, but I suppose he needed the rest!


We walked towards the monuments and saw some beautiful tulips, the Capital One Arena, and got some coffee at Compass Coffee.


We decided to stroll through the sculpture garden on our way. It was pretty neat.


We made our first stop at Washington Monument. It was pretty cool to see! We couldn’t get too close because of construction but what a neat monument.


From the Washington Monument we could see the Jefferson Memorial. It would have made our travels extra long to walk to it so we just admired from afar.


Then we made our way to the World War II Memorial. Another really neat memorial with a lot of details to the structure. Such a cool thing to walk through.



We then made our way to the Reflecting Pool. Owen was such a trooper and enjoyed getting out of the stroller to take a few pictures.


There were quite a few ducks swimming around in the Reflecting Pool. It was really a peaceful area and not too crowded with tourists.


We then walked over to the Lincoln Memorial. There was a beautiful view of the Washington Monument and Reflecting Pool from the stairs leading up to Abraham Lincoln.


I decided to just head up the stairs on my own to get a close up of the Lincoln Memorial. It is a large structure and the columns were just beautiful. Amanda stayed with Owen at the bottom of the stairs.


We took a quick glance and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.


Then we headed towards the White House. On the way there we saw so many colorful trees and Constitution Hall.


We got a side view of the White House on the way and saw the snipers up top keeping an eye on everyone.


Then we made it to the front of the building. There were many pretty and colorful flowers. Owen fell asleep on the way there.


We were starving after our 6.2 mile walk around the monuments. We decided to pick up some Mediterranean food. We got it to go and walked by Chinatown (Amanda’s apartment is in Chinatown) and saw the Chinatown bridge.


We spent the rest of the evening at Amanda’s and were exhausted from all the walking we did.


Little man turned 7 months old so we did a little photo shoot in the morning.


Amanda had to head to the yoga studio for a few hours so I lounged with Owen. Once he went down for nap I did a quick at home body-weight workout and then showered and got ready for the day.

Before Amanda returned she picked up Sweet Green salads for us to bring with for out adventure of the day.


Once Owen woke up for his nap we scheduled a Lyft driver to pick us up and headed to the United States National Arboretum. Owen was a little cool dude in his hat and sunglasses.


It was a beautiful day to be outside and the flowers were stunning!


We went to see the Bonsai trees first. There was the Chinese Bonsai tree exhibit and the Japanese Bonsai tree exhibit. They were all really fun to look at and one was from the year 1625!


Shortly after we arrived Owen fell asleep. There were some more flowers and just great landscaping we enjoyed before sitting on a bench for lunch.


After we ate we headed over to see these columns we could see in the distance. They were from the United States Capitol. These columns provided the backdrop for presidential inaugurations from 1829-1957 and were the site of many speeches, protests, and rallies. In 1958 the columns were dismantled to make way for the east front extension of the Capitol.


After the columns we went to see the Azalea collection however, it really wasn’t stroller accessible so I sent Amanda on her own while Owen and I stayed in the shade (and he continued to sleep).


We were able once she came back to walk along the edge of the trail and see some of the beautiful azaleas.


We then headed back to Amanda’s apartment to feed Owen and rest. We decided to go to &pizza for dinner. There was an interesting pizza call The Blueprint that I decided to try and it was super delicious!


We headed back to Amanda’s apartment for the remainder of the evening. I did some packing in preparation for our travels the next morning.

It was a quick morning. I scheduled a Lyft driver for 8am for our 10:05 flight. It was a breeze getting through security and we had plenty of time before it was time to board the plane. I stopped and got a coffee from Dunkin Donuts and then sat and waited at the gate.

When it was time to board they let Owen and me on first which was super nice. We were the only ones on the plane for a while so I didn’t feel rushed to get the stroller folded and settled into our seat while others waited.

We had an amazing flight attendant who helped me out while I put our carry-on away and got all things ready (and went pee quick before take off). She was super nice and I am so thankful for her help.


Shortly after take off Owen fell asleep. I didn’t get to bring my infant carrier on this time because I didn’t know I would have the 2 seater row to myself again but I did. So I had to hold Owen during the flight which caused for some disrupted sleep for him. He was a really good flyer again.


When we landed Joe and Liam picked us up. Joe had packed me a lunch which was so nice!

Liam ended up napping on the drive to pick us up so once we got home and put him down for nap, he wasn’t having it. We decided to let him get up. It was nice out so I took both boys for a quick walk outside.

Then we decided to go visit my parents. My brother and his two youngest kids ended up coming over too so we were also able to see them.


Then we headed to pick up take out at a new food place in town call VuDu Street Food. It was definitely greasy and some things were better than others. Not something I would crave in the near future.

After dinner we relaxed, put the boys to bed, and then being exhausted went to bed shortly after.

Owen and I had so much fun in DC. Thank you Amanda for letting us crash at your place and bringing us all over. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s