The day I met Owen

My due date was September 28th, 2017 and everyone told me I would go early since Liam was 2 weeks early. Well I thought so too so I waited and waited and waited. I reached 38 weeks pregnant, then 39 weeks, and then it was the day before my due date when I finally broke down. I couldn’t believe I was going to still be pregnant on my due date and possibly go over. I was so ready to be done being pregnant and meet our baby.

Well, apparently Owen is a planner just like his mama and decided he would arrive on his due date. But before I get to that let’s start from the beginning.

I started having some real contractions on Monday the 25th. They continued for about 2 hours and I was pretty sure I was going to have to leave work and head to the hospital. However, after lunch the contractions seemed to stop and there were no more signs of labor. The same thing happened on Tuesday. I again so so sure I was going to have a baby but then it all stopped.

Then Wednesday the 27th (mine and Joe’s anniversary) I was having even stronger contractions in the morning. I thought okay this baby is coming today. I actually had my 40 week doctor appt so I went to that and Joe met me there. I told my midwife “I am pretty sure this baby is coming today.” She didn’t confirm that but we did decide to strip my membranes to get things moving. I wasn’t sure I was going to have her do it but I decided to just go for it and see what happens. She did say I was only dilated to a 1 at that point. She encouraged Joe and I to go out somewhere close for lunch to celebrate our anniversary and come back when things picked up.

Well we went out to lunch and then…..nothing. The contractions stopped and that was that. I couldn’t believe it. The contractions I was having were so strong that even Joe making me laugh during one was painful. I was at a complete loss. I broke down and started crying. I just couldn’t understand it. I felt like I couldn’t understand my own body and I literally felt like this baby was going to stay inside of me forever.

I cried all evening off and on. I just could not get a grip on my emotions. Joe was encouraging and supportive which was really nice. My mom even stopped over and I cried to her. She just encouraged me to be patient and I was really trying.

During the night I kept waking up from inconsistent contractions. Then when I would wake up I would have to use the bathroom and then I would start thinking again about how upset I am and then have trouble falling back asleep.

Around 4am another contraction came and I just couldn’t sleep so I decided to take a bath. I did this and that helped me to relax. The contractions seemed to keep coming at that point although I wasn’t getting too excited at this point.

As 5am approached the contractions continued so I texted my mom (she was going to watch Liam while we went to the hospital). I told her we may be going to the hospital but to not get too excited yet because we were still figuring out if this was real or not.

I felt like my contractions were about 10 minutes apart but thought I should time to be sure. Well 3 minutes went by between contractions…I told Joe “that can’t be right….let’s see what it says again.” Well sure enough my contractions were 3 minutes apart. I asked my mom if she wanted to come over or if she wanted us to bring Liam to daycare. We thought we could wait until daycare opened to head to hospital.

Then the contractions got stronger and there was no more waiting. I told my mom she needed to come over now so we could go. So she cruised over to watch Liam.

We got to the hospital around 6:30am. My midwife was there so I was super happy! My water hadn’t broken yet but my contractions were getting stronger. She checked me once we settled in and said I was at a 6 already. I was thankful to hear that because I had told Joe on our way there that if she said I was at a 3 or less I would just die.

My contractions were more painful then I remember with Liam. His were pretty easy until just before birth, these ones were strong and painful.

I sat on a yoga ball so I could rock back and forth and rest my head on the bed with each contraction. It helped me to focus on my breathing and not tense up by body too much. My midwife Elizabeth Barry-Jensen sat on the bed in front of me and encouraged me and helped distract me with stories. It really was a calm and relaxing environment.

I also brought my essential oils and diffuser that we had going in the room as well.

After many challenging contractions I asked what the next steps were because it was getting really hard. My midwife said she could break my water if I wanted and that would speed things up a little bit. I wasn’t sure I should do this or not so I asked her for guidance.

She said let’s do a few more contractions and then check where things were at and then she would break my water. I agreed with that plan. I went through about 2 more really painful contractions and said, let’s move on.

So I got up on the bed. She checked and I was at a 9 and was very close. She then broke my water which was a super strange experience (my water broke on it’s own with Liam). It was just a gush of warm fluid coming out.

At that point it was time to start pushing. I was ready for that part because I remember it being such a relief to start pushing with Liam. Well it was maybe a total of 5-6 pushes because baby was out however they were very painful. Baby sat crowning for about 3 pushes and that was the hardest moment of my life. After the 2nd push of him crowning I said I can’t do this anymore. I was in so much pain I just wanted to cry. My midwife encouraged me that he was almost here that it was just 1 more push and his head would be out.

So I muster up another push and sure enough that did it. And then 1 more push to get the body out.

Then Joe told me “It’s another boy!” They place him on my chest and I was just in shock, and over-joyed, and just happy to have this little baby with me.

We had narrowed down the exact name so we already knew our baby boy would be named Owen Pacifique Hailey. His middle name is after my grandpa and we thought it was very unique and a wonderful way to honor my grandpa who has instilled so many family values in me.


I knew Owen was bigger than Liam and I just had to know how much. Owen weighed 8 lbs 6 oz and was 21 inches long compared to Liam who was 7 lbs 7 oz and 20 inches long.


Top: Liam, Bottom: Owen

Liam was so happy to meet his little brother. We had been talking about the baby coming out of mom’s tummy for a while now and he was ready to meet him! What a proud big brother!

I am so happy to be able to give Liam a little brother and I am so excited to watch them grow up together.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s