Over a year ago I made some seriously delicious Oreo cupcakes however I haven’t had a chance to make them again until recently and they did not disappoint! These cupcakes are super delicious!!
Makes around 24-36 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
1 box of triple chocolate cake mix
1 cup of vegetable oil
1 larger size box of unprepared chocolate pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup of water
About a cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
about 6 very chopped Oreos
1 box of either Oreos or Oreo thins if you would like to place one inside the cupcake or use for decoration on top.
For the frosting
1 package of cream cheese, 8oz. at room temp.
4 cups powder sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 container of Cool Whip, 8oz. thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix together the cake mix, oil, unprepared pudding, sour cream, eggs, and water. Then add in chocolate chips and finely chopped Oreos.
3. Optional: IF you want to bake an oreo INSIDE your cupcake, add a small scoop of mix into the cupcake liner, add Oreo (push down a little), add more mix on top.
4. Fill liners about 2/3 of the way full.
5. Bake in cupcake liners for about 18 mins.
6. While the cupcakes cool, make the frosting.
7. Beat the cream cheese and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy. Slowly add in the sugar while continuing to mix the cream cheese mixture.
8. On a low speed, add in the cool whip.
9. You may need to allow the frosting to set up in the refrigerator while the cupcakes continue to cool. Make sure the cupcake are all the way cool before adding frosting.
10. Put your frosting in a pastry bag.
11. Then frost the cupcakes like normal and sprinkle with crushed Oreo.
12. If you’d like, stick a piece of leftover Oreo in the frosting, for a little flair and extra cookie goodness.
BONUS: If you want a little frosting in the middle, and didn’t add an Oreo in the middle you can stick the point of the pastry bag into the cupcake and squeeze a little frosting into the center before frosting the top. You will see the cupcake puff up.
Some side notes:
- the frosting can turn out a little runny. I try to make it with everything pretty cold but still it isn’t super thick. You could try adding more powder sugar to thicken it. I may try this next time.
- I made my cupcakes the day before, and the frosting the day of.
- I stored the cupcakes in the refrigerator once they were frosted to make sure the frosting held up (not sure this was necessary or not).
- This can be made as a cake as well! My first time making it I made 12 cupcakes and a 9×9 cake with the extra. Super yummy!
- I had a lot of leftover frosting.
I hope you enjoy these super delicious cupcakes!! 🙂
Recipe adapted from: http://thenymelrosefamily.com/oreo-cupcakes/#_a5y_p=3169076