I learned about smashed potatoes on another blog (pb fingers) and they are amazing! So when I read about smashed sweet potatoes I had to try them!! The recipe was fairly easy too!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or 3 large)
- a light spray of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of melted butter (I actually subbed 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter—your choice!)
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed (I just chopped it up very small)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley (I’m lazy and didn’t use fresh).
- Himilayan salt and black pepper to taste (can use any salt).
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat oven to broil settings to high heat. Trim of the ends of the sweet potatoes. Cut each sweet potato into quarters (or 1 1/2-inch pieces).
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil; cook, covered for 20-25 minutes or until just fork-tender. Drain well.
- Lightly grease a large baking sheet or tray with cooking oil spray. Arrange sweet potatoes on the sheet and use a fork to LIGHTLY flatten each piece (they will be soft so try not to press too hard or they will end up breaking and mashed).
- Mix together the butter (or olive oil), garlic and parsley. Pour the mixture over each sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Broil until they are golden and crispy (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven, sprinkle over the parmesan cheese and return to the oven until they cheese is melted.
- Season with a little extra salt and parsley, and serve immediately.
***Notes: the fatter the potato the better (larger smashed pieces).
Recipe adapted from cafedelites.com