Washington and weekend #6

Be prepared for a super long post with lots of pictures! We had a very busy, fun, and exciting end of the week and weekend.

We had the best time visiting our friends in Seattle. They were such wonderful hosts and we appreciated all the time we were able to spend with them and all the things we were able to do.



Our flight left at 7am and landed at 8:40am. We gained 2 hours. Needless to say, we knew Liam’s schedule would be thrown off. However he really did great! And his first flight was a breeze. He slept for a little over an hour and played the rest of the time. We were lucky that our flight wasn’t full and asked for an empty seat so we had some extra space for Liam to play. Liam got his first pair of wings for his first flight. The flight attendants LOVED him!

When we arrived in Seattle we first picked up our rental car and then met Chelby and DJ. Tyler was working so we didn’t get to see him until the evening. Once we met up with Chelby and DJ we dropped off their car and headed to Pike’s Place Market.

We walked around the market and had a few treats. Joe had some Salmon chowder that he said was really good. He and Chelby shared a crab roll. I’m not a huge seafood fan but Joe really liked it.


We also watched the fish market workers toss a big fish! It was so great to see. Then we headed to the gum wall. I even added my own gum to the wall (kind of gross but so cool).

After the market we decided to go to Snoqualmie Falls. It was so beautiful. It wasn’t a long walk at all so the kids were content and the waterfall was so pretty.


Then we decided to hang out and cook dinner at Tyler and Chelby’s house. It was a long day for us with travel and site seeing so it was good to relax in the evening. Joe grilled up some burgers that were done just in time for Tyler to get home. We watched the Minnesota Wild hockey game and relaxed. It was a great way to end our first day.


It’s Joe’s birthday! He didn’t really want to do anything specific other than eat some seafood.

We started the morning off with some breakfast sandwiches made by Chelby and and ice cream coffee (the coffee is sweetened with ice cream — brilliant!).

Our first trip of the day was to the Navy base. We drove around to see different spots on the base where Tyler and Chelby spent their time. It was cool to see that part of their lives. Then we tried to get close to some ships but were stopped before we got too close. It was still so cool to see how massive the carriers are.


After that we went to Poulsbo. It is a cute little German town. We took some pictures by the water and the cute gazebo they had there. The boys played in the grass a little. Also Liam used a “big boy” stroller for the first time and it was so cute! He had his little legs swinging.  We ate at a restaurant by the water and we all had fish and chips (Chelby and I subbed in salads for the chips). Ty and Joe had mussels as an appetizer. It was a really good meal and Joe got the seafood he wanted.

We decided to do a steak dinner at the house for Joe’s birthday. The Chicago Blackhawks played too so he wanted to watch the game. We spent another relaxing evening at the house and had a really delicious meal.


We started the morning off with some scrambled eggs cooked by Ty and some packing. We wanted to have all our things packed because we weren’t going back to their house and had a busy day planned.


First we took the ferry and got a good view of Mount Rainier. It was a little cloudy but still beautiful. It is incredible how big it is! Such a beautiful site.


For lunch we went to Bob’s burgers and had some greasy food. It was super yummy of course.

Then we headed to the tulip festival. There were so many tulips. It was such a beautiful site to see. They have the tulip fields and then also the tulip gardens where they have all different kinds and colors of tulips.

I ended up packing a shirt for Liam that DJ also had so they were matching and it was completely adorable. We were able to get so many cute pictures.

After the tulip fields we had a long drive and then it was time to say goodbye. We found ourselves wishing for just another day to hang out and explore. We had such a good time. DJ even reached for Joe as we were leaving which melted both of our hearts.

We then headed to our hotel by the airport. We stayed at a hotel because again we had a really early flight. It was interesting putting Liam to bed in a hotel. They gave us a pack and play and he actually ended up sleeping pretty good. It just took him a while to actually fall asleep.


Our flight was scheduled to leave at 6:50am. We thought we gave ourselves plenty of time to get ready and get to the airport but we ended up getting there just in time for us to board. This flight was booked so we weren’t able to get an extra seat. It ended up being okay though because Liam slept for 2 hours of the flight. Again, he was so great on the plane. Once we landed people commented that they didn’t even know we had a baby on the plane and that he was such a good traveler. I am so thankful for how good he was on both his flights.

My mom and nephew Judah picked us up from the airport. We stopped at Jersey Mike’s for lunch and then headed to my parents’ house. It was a beautiful day so we stayed there for a little bit so Liam could try the swing for the first time. He loved it.

Then we headed home and just relaxed for the rest of the evening. We didn’t even unpack (I’m dreading it).

We couldn’t have asked for a better first family vacation. We can’t wait to visit Tyler, Chelby and DJ at their new home in Portland!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s